Sunday 13 June 2010

While I was in the Mountains...

So once I'd arrived at Joburg airport (feeling and possibly looking like Quasimodo - thanks again BA and Thomas Cook Sport) I met Mike the porter after 20 mins looking for him in a sea of porters and an earful of vuvuzelas, aaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhhhhh! I ended up doing a full circle of the arrivals hall and spotted a man holding a "SEVEER YLLAS" sign, which I recognised from behind! Spent the rest of the day sleeping at a guesthouse in Kempton Park, a suburb near the airport - left the window open as there was some weird birdsong going on outside. It was 7 degrees when I arrived, but by 1pm I was sitting out on the balcony in shorts and t-shirt reading my FourFourTwo - it wasn't pretty but I was out of sight. Strange weather. Ended up going out for dinner with an american couple from Wyoming, Ben and Donelle, who are over here for a hunting trip rather than the football. Had a very nice evening, ate my bodyweight in prawns and got back to the guesthouse at 10ish as I was due up at 4.30am to go back to the airport to meet Mark, Kevin and Ali...

Staff at the guesthouse were so sweet - I got my early morning call at 4.30am then another phonecall about 15 mins later "Come down and eat!" and a full english breakfast on the table when I got there, bless. Which is the real reason I was late to meet the boys at the airport - sorry boys and sorry Derek the driver (so now you all know! I couldn't refuse it could I?!).

Then en route to Quiet Mountain, about 90 mins drive from Joburg airport...

1 comment:

  1. I can imagine that Quiet Mountain wasn't so quiet once you arrived!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete