Friday 18 June 2010

Cape Town so far...










It's match day today, so not sure I can concentrate on much else but I'll try and fill in the gaps between Sunday when I arrived and today, which I think is Friday but again I'm not sure...

I arrived Sunday night (I think) and checked in to my lovely plush apartment which I'd found on the internet. (Incidentally I've just checked out of it and realised that I'd only spent a total of about 9 hours in there!) Got to about 9pm and realised I hadn't eaten anything so popped down to Main Rd (original name, but accurate description) to see what was on offer. Which is when it chucked it down and I ran in to the nearest bar - possibly the roughest one in Cape Town! It was one of those where I walked in the door, everyone's conversations stopped and a huge tumbleweed blew across the floor... but I took a seat at the bar anyway, as you do. Ended up drinking 2 large glasses of white wine and ate a bowl of chicken soup and some toast (it was soup weather), which came to the princely sum of R32 (about 3 quid - sorry mum for saying "quid", but I can't find the pound sign on the South African keyboards). Watched the rest of the Germany v Australia game, which was a bit scary considering England could face them in the next round - if we get that far. Also forgot that there's no smoking ban in SA so possibly knocked 5 years off my life during the 90 minutes that I was in the bar. And I was the only female in there (except for the 2 bar staff and a couple of potential "ladies of the night" who wandered in during injury time). Chatted to one of the locals who told me he was a "commercial artist", but he later changed his job title to "piss artist" (he even slurred when he said it), but he was covered in paint and I'm gullible so who knows. He looked a bit like Ice T though and I didn't get a photo - didn't dare get anything out of my bag to be honest... but I survived my first night in Cape Town anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment